[¹Ì¼úÀϹÝ] Kim, soo Ja - the 5yh Venice Biennale
ÀÌ ¸§ IACO (58.¢½.1.120)
³¯ Â¥ 2013-02-02 09:39:53
Á¶ ȸ 5139
Æ®·¢¹é http://artiaco.com/home/bbs/tb.php/artnews/1357
±ÛÀÚÅ©±â

Kim Soo-ja to grace 2013

Venice Biennale

Kim Soo-ja¡¯s ¡°Bottari Truck — Migrateurs¡± will be on display at the 55th Venice Biennale.                                                / Courtesy of Arts Council of Korea

Çѱ¹ÀÇ »öµ¿ Áü'»Çµû¸®'ÁÖÁ¦

Ä¿¹Ì¼Å³Ê ±è½Â´ö¾¾ ±è¼öÀÚ ÀÛ°¡Ãßõ

Çѱ¹°üÀº ±âÁ¸ÀÇ Àü½Ã°ø°£°ú ´Þ¸® '³ª¹«' 'À¯¸®' '±Ý¼Ó' µîÀ¸·Î ¸¸µé¾î Á® ÀÖÀ¸¸ç
'°ü¶÷°´µéÀÌ ºû, »ö.¼Ò¸®µîÀÇ ºñ¹°Áú¼ºÀ» ÀÌ Àü½Ã¸¦ Åë¿¡ °æÇèÇÏ°í ´À³¢°Ô Çß´Ù' °í ÀÛ°¡´Â ¸»ÇÑ´Ù.

Korean pavilion to be turned into ¡®bottari¡¯

By Kwon Mee-yoo

A round, colorful Korean bundle or ¡°bottari¡± by artist Kim Soo-ja will be a theme of the Korean Pavilion at the 55th Venice Biennale.

Commissioner for the Korean Pavilion Kim Seung-duk, 59, and the 56-year-old artist revealed the plan for the contemporary art exhibition at a press conference at the Arko Art Center in Seoul on Wednesday.

Originally, Kim Seung-duk said she was considering a group exhibition after being appointed as commissioner in August but after thorough research and communication with artists, she decided to work solely with Kim Soo-ja.

¡°Kim Soo-ja has much experience on the international art scene and she was the right person to express the concept I planned,¡± Kim Seung-duk said.

Kim Seung-duk, left, commissioner of the Korean Pavilion for the 2013 Venice Biennale, and artist Kim Soo-ja

They have worked together three times previously at the Triennale Kleinplastik in Stuttgart, Germany, in 1995; on ¡°SelfScape: Kim Sooja & Yan Pei-Ming¡± in Odense, Denmark, in 2000; and for ¡°Flower Power¡± in Lille, France, in 2004.

The Korean Pavilion will be different from the standard white cube with curved walls and is composed of various materials such as wood, glass and metal. Sometimes exhibitors had to set up fake walls or block out light to create the desired environment for their work. For this year¡¯s biennale, the two Kims said they will embrace the unique architectural structure of the Korean Pavilion. They will approach it as a project of turning the pavilion into a piece of art. ¡°I think of this as a research project and will talk a lot with the artist to achieve it,¡± the commissioner said.

Born in Daegu in 1957, Kim Soo-ja is internationally acclaimed, known for her video, installation and performance works such as ¡°Bottari Truck — Migrateurs,¡± ¡°A Needle Woman,¡± ¡°Earth-Water-Fire-Air¡± and most recently ¡°Thread Routes¡± series. Her works contemplate life and nature through delicate observations.

Though she participated in the main exhibit in Venice in 1999 and 2005, it is her first time to present works at the Korean Pavilion.

Kim Soo-ja said she thinks this as more of a collaboration with the curator, instead of being a solo show.

¡°This work is going to be site-specific. I am considering the Korean Pavilion as a big bottari and will tie it and undo it, covering the general concept of bottari I¡¯ve worked with,¡± the artist said.

She added the visitors will experience the exhibit through immaterial elements such as light, sound and color and the number of spectators will be limited for a fully meditative experience of the Korean Pavilion.

Many of Kim¡¯s works are related to war or refugees and the 2013 work interlinks with recent natural disasters. ¡°I was in New York when the city was hit by Hurricane Sandy and living without electricity and hot water for about a week made me think a lot. The work will be a surprise for those who expected something concrete,¡± she added.

Directed by Massimiliano Gioni and themed ¡°The Encyclopedic Palace,¡± the 2013 Venice Biennale will open on June 1 and runs through Nov. 24. The 18-year-old Korean Pavilion will also go through an overhaul to provide a better experience.
Ãâó: Korea Times

À̸ðƼÄÜ ÀÔ·Â
    a8b3283bb9
    À̸§   ºñ¹ø   ¸ÞÀÏ   ȨÇÇ