³¯ Â¥ 2009-09-13 06:12:58
Á¶ ȸ 11262
Æ®·¢¹é http://artiaco.com/home/bbs/tb.php/artnews/389
±ÛÀÚÅ©±â
Museums Show
 Architectural
Ceramics as Art ¼¼¶ó¹Í °ÇÃà ¹Ì¼ú
"Now & New '  2010³â 3¿ù 7ÀÏ ±îÁö

For his piece ``Wishing for the Roof,'' Japanese artist Yukinori Yamamura recreated a traditional Korean temple roof inside the Clayarch Gimhae Museum, Gimhae, South Gyeongsang Province.
/ Korea Times Photo by Cathy Rose A. Garcia
"ÁöºØ¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ¼Ò¸Á" À̶ó´Â Á¦¸ñÀÇÀϺ»ÀÛ°¡ Yukinori Yamamura ÀÇ ±èÇØ Clayasch ¹Ì¼ú°ü¿¡ ÀÖ´Â Çѱ¹ÀÇ ÀüÅëÀûÀÎ »çÂû ÁöºØÀ» ÀçâÁ¶ÇÑ ±×ÀÇ ÀÛÇ°ÀϺÎ

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia
Staff Reporter

Gimhae ¡ª People encounter architectural ceramics everyday, but they just don't notice it. Roof tiles, bricks, wall tiles, and floors are everywhere, but no one gives them a second thought.

±èÇØ- »ç¶÷µéÀº ¸ÅÀÏ °ÇÃ༼¶ó¹Í°ú Á¶¿ìÇÏÁö¸¸ ±×µéÀº ±×°ÍÀ» ÁÖ¸ñÇÏÁö ¾Ê´Â´Ù. ÁöºØÀÇŸÀÏ,º®µ¹,±×¸®°í ¹Ù´Úµî ¾î´À°÷¿¡¼­³ª,±×·¯³ª ¾Æ¹«µµ ±×°Í¿¡ ´ëÇÑ µÎ¹ø »ý°¢À» ÇÏÁö´Â ¾Ê´Â´Ù...

"°ü¶÷°´ÀÌ ÁöÇÏ°è´ÜÀ¸·Î ³»·Á°¥¶§ ±×µéÀº "Line Taping" À̶ó´Â º®¸é µðÀÚÀÎ ÀÛÇ°ÀÎ Yup±×·ìÀÇ ÇÁ·ÎÀèÆ®¸¦ º¼ °ÍÀÌ´Ù. ÀÌ°ÍÀº Àΰ£À» À§ÇØ °ÇÃàÀÌ ¹«¾ùÀ» ÇؾßÇÏ´ÂÁöÀÇ ¶Ù¾î³­ ¿¹ÀÌ´Ù.°ÇÃàÀÌ ¹«¾ùÀÌ³Ä°í ¹°À»¶§, ¿ì¸®´Â ±×°ÍÀº ¿ì¸®ÀÇ »îÀ» ¸¸µå´Â °ÍÀ̶ó°í ¸»ÇÑ´Ù.. ÀÌ°ÍÀÌ ¿Ö ¿ì¸®°¡ °ø°£ µðÀÚÀΰú µµ½Ãȯ°æ¿¡ ÁÖ¸ñÇØ¾ß ÇÏ´ÂÁö¸¦ ¸»ÇÏ°íÀÖ´Ù".. (±Ç)

The Clayarch Gimhae Museum is hoping to make people appreciate the utilitarian beauty of architectural ceramics more through its new exhibition, ``Architectural Ceramic ¡ª Now & New,'' which opened Friday.

``Through this exhibit, we would like people to become more familiar with architectural ceramics and encounter a new world of art,'' assistant curator Park Se-yeon said, during a press conference last Friday.

The first section ``Into Art,'' presents architectural ceramic-based artworks such as photography, engravings, sculptures and installations by artists from Korea and abroad. Park, who curated the section, said the artists used mass-produced ceramic materials and reinterpreted these with their own creativity and personality.

Canada-born sculptor Robert Harrison made an outdoor arch using bricks and ceramic insulators. His ``Clayarch ¡ª Arch'' epitomizes the union of modern industrial Korean ceramics and ancient architectural form.

``So much of my work depends on responding to a place and how I use the materials. The big challenge here was how to use the insulators because while I'm familiar with bricks, the insulators were a completely different material for me to use. I really enjoyed the process of figuring out how to fit them together and integrate it,'' Harrison told The Korea Times.

Outside the museum, there is a row of tree-like structures with stick branches laden with colorful balls that remind children of the popular Pokemon toys. This is ``Mutamon'' by Shin Yi-chul, who also used ceramic insulators, which were used in traditional Korean houses while he was growing up.

``The theme for my work is the memory of the insulator. The function of the device is to simply insulate but for me it is more of a cable station running through the house; the shiny white devices become pieces of figurative art that are part of everyday life,'' Shin said.

Artists also filled the halls of the Clayarch museum with their inventive but thoughtful works. The lobby is dominated by ``Wishing for the Roof,'' Japanese artist Yukinori Yamamura's recreation of a traditional Korean temple roof. Visitors are invited to go on top of the roof and write their wishes directly on the tiles.

Norwegian artist Hilde Angel Danielsen used the traditional Korean bricks in a different way for the installation ``In Between.'' To create a feeling of transparency, she turned the bricks on their sides to show the holes.

``The form is inspired by a folder screen, which is normally done in paper and wood. I put two of the walls close to each other, so there would be a space in between. It's like a private space in a public setting,'' she told The Korea Times.

For ``In God We Trust?'' Lee Jong-eun made a striking recreation of the Notre Dame Cathedral's facade through digital prints on ceramic tiles. However, upon closer look, the religious icons have been replaced by dark but humorous figures.

Design is the focus of the second section. Here, visitors will find trends in architectural ceramic designs from around the world, as well as artists' experimental works combining art and design.

With a layout designed like a home, the section shows how innovative design products and art pieces can be incorporated into everyday life. The walls are covered with Ceramica Bardelli's stylish tiles featuring artwork images, while a gold washbasin by Catalano can be found in the bathroom. A sculptural lighting piece by Dominic & Frances Bromley hangs on the ceiling, while Park Jee-seon's white porcelain flowers decorate a side table.

``I believe that based on the boundless creative power of artists, architects and designers, design will be the driving force to create a healthy environment especially when incorporated with modern technology,'' chief curator Cho Seong-ja said.

The last section, ``On City,'' which can be found in the museum's basement, tackles the connection between architecture and the city. Assistant curator Kwon Mi-ok said the photographs of old and new Seoul by An Se-kwon and Sohn Yoo-mee will remind people of memories of the city and encourage them to ponder on the future of the cityscape.

As visitors walk down the stairs to the basement, they will see Project Group Yup's playful ``line-taping'' wall design. ``This is an outstanding example of what architecture should do for people. When asked what architecture is, we say `it is what organizes our life.' ¡¦ This is why we should pay attention to space design and city environment,'' Kwon said.

The exhibition runs through March 7, 2010. Call (055) 340-7000 or visit www.clayarch.org.
ÄÚ¸®¾Æ ŸÀÓÁö
cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

À̸ðƼÄÜ ÀÔ·Â
076242e13f
À̸§   ºñ¹ø   ¸ÞÀÏ   ȨÇÇ