ÀÌ ¸§ IACO (110.¢½.12.212)
³¯ Â¥ 2009-11-04 04:42:44
Á¶ ȸ 12499
Æ®·¢¹é http://artiaco.com/home/bbs/tb.php/artnews/400
±ÛÀÚÅ©±â
Paradigm Art Acts a Bridge for NY, Seoul
¼­¿ï°ú ´º¿åÀ» ÀÕ´Â  ¹Ì¼úÈ°µ¿ÀÇ Æä·¯´ÙÀÓȸ»ç
/ Christina Kang

I'm a cultural matchmaker, cultural ambassador and cultural lobbyist ¡¦ Culture is another leading item in the 21st century.

Art consulting company Paradigm Art organizes private art events, such as the one in the photo, as well as gallery visits and tours in Seoul and New York. / Courtesy of Paradigm Art

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia
Staff Reporter

´º¿å¿¡¼­ È°µ¿ÁßÀÎ Å©¸®½ºÆ¼³ª °­Àº ¼­¿ï°ú ´º¿å »çÀÌÀÇ °¸À» ¿¹¼úÀ» ÀÌ¿ëÇÏ¿© ¿¬°áÇÏ°í ÀÖ´Ù.
New York-based businesswoman Christina Kang is using art to bridge the gap between Seoul and New York.

Through her company Paradigm Art, Kang introduces contemporary Korean art to American clients and international contemporary art to Korean clients.
±×³àÀÇȸ»ç Æä·¯´ÙÀÓ ¾ÆÆ®¸¦ ÅëÇØ Çѱ¹ÀÇ Çö´ë¹Ì¼úÀ»  ¹Ì±¹ÀÇ Å©¶óÀ̾ðÆ®¿¡°Ô, ±¹Á¦ÀûÀÎ Çö´ë¹Ì¼úÀ» Çѱ¹ Ŭ¶óÀ̾ðÆ®¿¡°Ô ¼Ò°³ÇÏ°íÀÖ´Ù. ±×·¯³ª ºñÁö´Ï½º½ºÅ¸ÀÏÀÌ´Ù¸£´Ù.Æä·¯´ÙÀÓ ¾ÆÆ®´Â ÆǸÅÇÏÁö¾Ê°íÁÖ·Î ÀÛÇ°À»  »ç¶÷µéÀ» ±³À°Çϴµ¥ ÃÊÁ¡À» ¸¶Ãß°íÀÖ´Ù.
But unlike others in the business, Paradigm Art is mainly focused on educating people about art and not just selling it.

``A lot of people need an education in order to train your eye, to appreciate and to buy art. For example, I can say `this is one of the best contemporary art works' and you may not agree with me on why this is one of the best contemporary art works," Kang told The Korea Times in an interview last week. "But once you get to know what it is about, meet the artist, you can personalize the experience and it becomes yours. It's easier and better for me to sell art, which falls into the art consulting category."

" ¸¹Àº »ç¶÷µéÀÌ ´«À» ÈÆ·ÃÇÏ°í, °¨»óÇÏ°í ¿¹¼úÀ» ±¸¸ÅÇϱâÀ§ÇÑ ±³À°ÀÌ ÇÊ¿äÇÏ´Ù. ¿¹¸¦µé¾î  ÀÌ·¯ÇÑ °ÍÀÌ °¡Àå ÈǸ¢ÇÑ ÀÛÇ°ÀÇ Çϳª¶ó°í ¸»ÇÒ ¼ö ÀÖ´Ù. ±×¸®°í ¿Ö ÀÌ·¯ÇÑ ÀÏÀÌ °¡ÀåÁÁÀº Çö´ë¹Ì¼úÇ°ÀÇ ÇϳªÀÎÁö ´ç½ÅÀº µ¿ÀÇ ÇÏÁö¾ÊÀ» ¼öµµ ÀÖ´Ù  °­Àº Áö³­ÁÖ ÄÚ¸®¾Æ ŸÀÓÁö¿ÍÀÇ ÀÎÅͺ信¼­ "±×·¯³ª ´ç½ÅÀÌ ¹«¾ùÀΰ¡¸¦ ¾Ë°ÔµÇ¸é ÀÛ°¡¸¦ ¸¸³ª¼­ °æÇèÀ» ÃàÀû,°³ÀÎÈ­ÇÏ°Ô µÇ°í ±×°ÍµéÀÌ °ð ´ç½Å°ÍÀÌ µÉ°ÍÀÌ´Ù". ¶ó°í °­Àº ¸»ÇÑ´Ù.ÀÌ°ÍÀÌ ³»°¡ ÀÛÇ°À» ÆǸÅÇÏ´Â°Í º¸´Ù ½±°í ¾ÆÆ® ÄÁ¼³Æà ¿µ¿ª¿¡ ºüÁö°Ô µÇ´Â ÀÌÀ¯ÀÌ´Ù."
Kang has been in the business for 10 years. In 1999, she founded Paradigm Art (www.paradigmart.com) in New York with the vision ``to raise the awareness of visual culture in society internationally." Her company's unique proposition attracted media attention, including features on CNN and PBS.

The company organizes gallery tours, studio visits, private cultural events, lectures and artist talks, so people can learn more about art in-depth. Her clients include the Asia Society, Lehman Brothers, Hyundai, Singapore Art Museum, Brown University and Harvard Business School.

``I want people to know that not only expensive art is good. Price is not relevant to good art," Kang said. "That's why I'm geared towards education. I'm a profit company, but I'm working as a non-profit to educate people. I'm looking at the long term. I want my clients to stay as my clients forever."

With her Korean background and European and American education, Kang is more than capable of acting as the link between the U.S. and Korean art worlds. At 16, she left Korea to attend the International High School in Geneva, Switzerland. She fancied becoming an artist, so she majored in textile design at the Rhode Island School of Design.

``I wasn't so confident about being an artist because it is such a lonely and long journey. But I figured I'm pretty good with people so I was pondering and searching myself. I discovered I'm good at promoting art and making connections with people. So I went to New York University for my masters in art administration," she said.

``It's pretty much like being an art agent. You find a talented artist, you find collectors and you match them. I'm sort of an art matchmaker. It's a funny expression, but that's basically what it is. I've been doing it for 10 years now."

Kang also sees herself as a ``cultural ambassador" for both Seoul and New York, having curated exhibitions featuring artists from both cities.

Paradigm Art offers a VIP program which introduces the New York art scene to Korean businessmen, and Korean culture to American businessmen. Kang is particularly keen on giving American clients a taste of what Korean culture is really about.

``You could say I'm a cultural matchmaker, cultural ambassador and cultural lobbyist ¡¦ Culture is another leading item in the 21st century. Korea is also one of the cultural leaders in Asia. We have beautiful art and culture, but it's just undiscovered. I feel so privileged to give my time to show Korea to my clients," she said.

Paradigm Art is also stepping up its efforts to attract Korean women and students. For single Korean women, Paradigm Art offers the ``Art in the City" program, referencing the popular HBO series ``Sex in the City."

``These golden misses like to travel and want to have a fun experience in New York. It's not just about art, but also fashion and lifestyle," she said.

The NY Biz Program gives students and young professionals a chance to experience the art scene, as well as meeting professionals working in galleries and museums in New York.

Kang, who is the only Korean woman in the art consulting business in New York, does not seem to run out of enthusiasm when talking about her company.

``I'm right in the middle ... My company is very unique and forward looking. And I get to meet very interesting, culturally open-minded people ¡¦ I love my job," she says with a smile.

cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

À̸ðƼÄÜ ÀÔ·Â
8ec273a349
À̸§   ºñ¹ø   ¸ÞÀÏ   ȨÇÇ